Friday, June 27, 2003

Random thoughts

(but really, what's new there?)

You can't get there from here

If you're not fluent in Cincinnati geography this will be lost on you. But...

As all you 'natians know, I75 is torn up from Sharon Road to the Michael "J" Fox Highway. And to make matters worse, I275 is ripped up on the north side between I75 and I71 (maybe to the nether regions east of I71--but I wouldn't know. I never venture out there).

So when I sit downtown on 8th Street looking to get home there is just no good way. One evening last week it took me two hours just to get through the construction--not to mention all the way to my destination.

All that good couch-sitting time wasted in my car.

A different perspective on Roe v. Wade

Hearing from Roe

Silent no more--asking women to speak out who have suffered harmful affects of abortion.

Never satisfied

Next year I (finally) get to enjoy a third week of vacation. I have tentative plans for a week in South America, tentative plans to counsel at a youth camp for a week (dear God, what have I agreed to?), and then a week for various and sundry short trips (Wisconsin, the holidays, etc). And yet I want more...

There's this week-long sailing adventure in Maine, friends in California to visit, family in Florida to visit, a five-year gap since my last trip to Europe...

And now a real thought

Only 180 shopping days until Christmas.

Ahhh, memories

Five years ago today the Cincinnati Enquirer apologized to Chiquita for the scathing expose that the Enquirer was forced to retract. Too bad the millions of dollars the Enquirer paid to settle the lawsuit couldn't keep Miss Chiquita from filing bankruptcy.

No, really, this is a real thought

Norman Maclean wrote in A River Runs Through It "That's how you know when you have thought too much--when you become a dialogue between You'll probably lose and You're sure to lose."

This happens to me all the time.

I can so easily imagine every scenario (ok, maybe not every, but many...). And I'm much better at imagining the worst case scenario than the best (which imitates life, which imitates Coach Hayes' philosophy on passing).

But I digress.

I know many people who are able to identify what they want and then go do it, simply accepting and expecting that everything will work out for the best. I wish I were one of those types who didn't get bogged down worrying about perception and every possible reaction.

Unbelievable but true

After class the other night a girl asked me to walk her to her car because she "isn't comfortable walking across the parking lot alone at night."

I bit my tongue and stopped myself from offering to carry her books for her as well.

But seriously...if some lineman jumped out at her what, praytell, was I supposed to do about it? For crying out loud, I was probably over-matched by the sophomore girl, much less some kind of creepy stalker type.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home