Thursday, December 12, 2002

Bigger is better, right?

I have found myself in the middle of several conversations that seem interconnected. With one friend I'm discussing this huge church that he visited, our dreams for our own little church, and how size impacts a faith community. With another friend I'm talking about the limited inertia of a denomination and how they keep doing what they've always done, even in the midst of pursuing "vision." Then Chad points me to this interview discussing "younger evangelicals."

The mitigating factor that I see in the midst of all of these issues is size. When we're involved in large organizations there is a political nature and a staid momentum that is very difficult to manage. I can't fathom affecting change in a denomination. I've seen large churches (1000+) struggle when their leadership struggles.

The world of the big implies influence and success. The world recognizes size.

But I don't want to be "of the world." I'd rather exert change in the world of the small. My family. My house church.

It isn't easy to exert change in any group setting. But I think in the context of the "small" I can at least explain my heart and my desires. Any "conflict" that arises can be discussed. And then we'll order pizza.

I do think there is a place for network; it makes sense to gather in a larger context than a house church of ten or so. But I'm not sure that I envision my own church's growth in terms of a mass of people, a big building, a larger staff. I'd rather see a network of small churches around the city, with occasional mass reunions and a focus on the small.

I can see limitations everywhere. But I've watched people exist as strangers in the midst of a big church.

And I've read comments like this: The pragmatic churches have become institutionalized - with some exceptions...The younger evangelicals will not have a voice in the pragmatic, fixed mentality. Stay there and your spirit will die ...The handwriting is on the wall. Leave. Robert Webber

No size context is given to those comments. But I remember the church of 1000+ that I grew up in and can see exactly how that clash can exist. I'm not convinced, though, that those differences would be so entrenched in a church of 50-100, or a house church of 10.

And I believe that there is a lot in the gospel about tearing down institutions and hierarchy. I believe that was Jesus' intent and should be ours as well. The world is a place of structure. Jesus went to great lengths to bridge demographic barriers. I think we should be that way as well.

I've been reading a lot of fiction lately, and recently read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. There is a lot of good stuff in there, but included in that is a whole subplot about the influence exerted over the masses through professional organizations, the media, the like. In my opinion that part isn't fiction.

I want to buck that trend. As my church continues to grow I hope we have the courage to turn that growth into new, small structures and avoid the "bigger is better" mentality. I, for one, don't want any part of dreams of buildings, large staffs and big programs. But I get excited by imagining house churches across the community, a network of like minded church of god leadership brainstorming in the background, and a family reunion when our house churches gather together en masse. Hopefully those micro-churches, with their own struggles and foci and identity, can reach and welcome people that would never show up at a big, cinder-block church auditorium.

I keep thinking these days about big organizations: companies, churches, political parties, denominations.

I don't think I like them.

But all I have right now are questions. And a few ideas. Fewer "opinions."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home