Saturday, December 07, 2002

Traditions of (this) man

I love "traditions." I don't mean big fancy cathedral-type traditions (not that I'm opposed to those, though). Things like going to Wisconsin with my family for summer vacation and eating at Ardy & Ed's, an old-fashioned drive-in with rollerskating waitresses. Walking Anderson University's campus homecoming weekend admiring all of the luminarias. Singing "Back Home Again In Indiana" before the Indianapolis 500.

This weekend found me at one of my newest favored traditions, the seemingly annual December Over the Rhine concert at the Taft. I'm not truly fanatical about many things. But I'm close in regards to their music (and Indiana University basketball, but that's for another day). I love this band and their music and their stories. I've said before that my favorite concert is always the last one that I've been to. That's mostly true. But last night was fantastic. It makes me feel so warm to walk through the Skywalk in Cincinnati (my adopted home) with my friends and walk into this beautiful theatre. The past experiences (last night was the fourth year in a row for me) add to my anticipation. And I enjoy it even more expecting that I'll be back next year.

This weekend holds another tradition of sorts for me. I'm not a big party hoster by nature but last year I threw a little Christmas shindig and this year I am again. Some people go through extensive spring cleaning, but for me it's now early-December cleaning. Scrubbing any more than what is minimally required always seems so pointless to me. It's like (not) making my bed. Why bother, it'll just need it again so soon? But when there is something worth cleaning for it is a different story. So today and tomorrow I'm scrubbing. Thoroughly. I mean, I'm even mopping under my kitchen rug. I do this joyfully in anticipation of my house being full of my friends next Friday night.

And I'm already visualizing the December 2003 calendar trying to determine where my gathering will best fit in everyone's schedules.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home