Saturday, November 08, 2003

Kenwood Mall, Observed

Yesterday afternoon I had about an hour to kill before meeting a friend. So I camped out in the common area of the mall down the street from my office. Armed with a cup of coffee and a book I was well prepared to entertain myself in isolation. But eventually people-watching took over. A few of the things I jotted down:

...high school girls in short, flouncy uniform skirts--certainly rolled up significantly at the waist. How can they simulteneously appear so breezy and self-conscious at the same time?

...my grandmother, almost. In appearance and demeaner she was hauntingly close. I almost want to speak out and talk to her. I don't talk much to my own grandmother, perhaps I can make up for it with this woman shuffling down the hall.

...a couple walking hand in hand with their blonde preschooler running between. With two long pigtails and a barbie-pink sweater, she's saying "Dad! Dad! Dad! Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad..." begging to be heard, to be seen. If she had the words she'd say "pay attention to me." She's not so far-removed from the pack of high-school girls that passed by twenty minutes ago.

I am not alone. And yet I am. I am anonymous in the open puclic, surrounded by people yet still alone. I love this tension...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home