Thursday, November 13, 2003

Just checking in...

I've been a book-hound lately. I plowed through The Da Vinci Code. Then last weekend read Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies. I've highlighted thought after thought of Lamott's that I'll post on here whenever time, my book and my laptop coelesce. Anyway, then last night I started Microserfs, by Douglas Coupland.

That book had me laughing out loud on page three. The narrator identifies everybody by their seven ideal Jeapordy! categories. I was trying to think what mine, would be...but I don't know enough about anything to have an opinion. I peter out after three:

Billy Joel
General Aviation
Indiana University basketball

Jack of all trades, master of none....even in trivia I guess.

Life is funny right now. I'm busy and distracted with school and currently unassigned at work. I got out of class quite early last night--home by 8:30. I wandered around my house confused for a while. I didn't know what to do. I turned on the TV. Then turned it off. I started reading, but that was too quiet. I tried learning the second half of the Bach invention I'm working on. There. That was the right activity. So I pounded that for an hour or so. Then off to bed where I didn't sleep.

My sleep patterns are all out of whack this week. Tuesday I got home about 6:30. I had this headache clasping at the base of my neck and reaching around to my eyes (I anthropomorphize my headaches...it's weird, I know). Part of it was that I hadn't eaten all day, but that's another story. So I ate dinner and went to bed, and slept hard. For two hours. Then I was up at 9:00, which was good because I had homework to do. I worked a couple of hours, read recreationally for 30 minutes or so, then to bed.

You'd think, sleeping from 11:30 or so to 7:30, plus a two hour nap, that I'd awake refreshed. Nope. I was exhausted Wednesday. I climbed into bed last night thinking I'd drop right off...but no, I tossed and turned 'til God-knows-when (at least I left the light off and didn't look at the clock).

I feel like I missed a month somewhere. Or something like that. I just feel out of sorts, like I'm ahead of schedule. Or behind schedule. I don't know which it is, but I'm just off somehow. Maybe the weekend will help--sleeping in on Saturday, just having a day or two to mentally check out a bit. I know that I'm not yet mentally or emotionally or spiritually ready for the rush of holidays, for biting, sleety weather, for the darkness that surrounds the days in wintertime (driving to work in the dark, driving home in the dark...only seeing vestiges of sunlight through office windows).

You know, maybe thatis my problem. I've been out of whack since the time change a couple weeks ago. But jet-lag shouldn't last this long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home