Wednesday, January 29, 2003

C. Ramos

There is a woman who calls my house repeatedly looking for someone. I haven't quite made out the name of the person she's trying to find, but I think it is "Carl." I know this because she called my house one night, mumbled a request for "Carl" and I politely informed her that she had the wrong number. Then I hung up.

About 45 seconds later the phone rang again. And we had a very similar conversation.

About 45 seconds later the phone rang again. "Still not here," click. I hung up as rudely as I could.

About 45 seconds later the phone rang again. Soon I was telling her, as empathetically as possible, "I wish I could help you but the person you're looking for isn't here. If he was, I'd tell you. If I knew where you could find him I'd tell you. You must have been given the wrong number. I'm sorry. But please stop calling me."

Finally the phone stopped ringing.

However, thanks to the miracle of Caller ID I know that I get phone-calls from this number nearly everyday. The caller ID record reports "C. Ramos" and the phone number. And lately I've been listening to a lot of quick voicemail messages containing only a rattling hangup.

This person calling me from C. Ramos' phone is desperately looking for someone. I hope she finds him. I wonder how long it will take for her to realize that he won't be found at my number?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home