Friday, November 22, 2002

Friendship and Refrigerators

Fridge Factor

It's a discussion of how people don't have close relationships in their lives--using refrigerator freedoms as a measuring stick. That seems like a reasonable measure. I always talk about "drop-by" friends. I only have a few people who I'd drop by their houses unannounced. People may be comfortable doing so with me, but no one ever does. This is the reality of our disconnected world.

Miller and Sparks argue that too many Americans suffer mentally and emotionally because they have too few of those relationships in their lives -- the ones with family and friends that connect us and restore us.

They also argue that one of the main reasons those relationships are missing is because Americans too casually move away from friends and family in pursuit of a new career or other opportunity.

This is why I still live in Cincinnati (see my post below...)

I could live anywhere. And the mountains call, and winter weather here is so blah, and I do indeed miss the ocean. But I'm not going to live a life running away from my past and I refuse to live my life surrounded by strangers.

Now, Indianapolis would provide a "new" place that meets both of those criteria. But besides there I'd need some convincing to live anywhere else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home